Friday, September 15, 2017

Beautiful Bali

In the September break I went to Bali.  There was a special cheap offer from Air Asia (though the flights were pretty horrible) and I was recommended a place to stay in Ubud by Jane who went to a yoga class there.  The cottages where I stayed were right opposite the yoga place, so it was very handy for me to do a class there every day.



On the first day I walked around Ubud to try to get my bearings.  I visited several temples and a museum which had some traditional Indonesian artwork.




The first place I went to was the Puri Lukisan Museum.  This is the oldest art museum in Bali.  There were 4 main buildings that specialised in various forms of traditional Balinese paintings and wood carvings.  




The museum was set in beautiful surroundings and had a very tranquil atmosphere.  After spending some time here I continued to walk up the main road to Ubud Palace, which is actually a temple that is famous for music and dancing. 


Ubud Palace, and the temple known as Puri Saren Agung were rebuilt after the 1917 earthquake and the royal family still lives here.



I found the stone carvings all around Ubud very beautiful and ornate.  The doorways were really spectacular.  After the palace I wandered through the local market, and even there everything was very intricate.  Ubud really is a lovely place!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.