Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Red Terror


On my second day in Ethiopia I had some time in the morning before my Upper Elementary cohort meeting, so I decided to walk down to the Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum which was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.  The "Red Terror" occurred in 1977 and 1978 and was a period of bloodshed, torture and mass murder of Ethiopians by the military junta known as the Derg, led by Mengistu, following the deposition of Emperor Haile Selassie.  Around half a million people were murdered and mutilated under the guise of building a "better" Ethiopia.


On the way back to the hotel I walked past the UN building.  I'd previously been told I wasn't allowed to photograph government buildings, but I managed to get this photo through the railings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.