Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Turning a building into a school


Back in February when I visited the school this is what it looked like.  Some people thought I was made to move to a school that had not yet even been built, but I was convinced that the leadership team of the school had the right vision - I was onboard.


The photos above shows the first day in my new school.  Floors were still being laid, electric points were being put in, walls and pillars were being painted, furniture was starting to arrive.


The day before the first day of school - it's still a building.  We have got the partitions in place and we have got the displays up, but something is missing:  the students.  That evening, as one of the new teachers, I received this message from our Superintendent:
You will never have another “first day at ASB.” So, please take some time, as tomorrow progresses, to sit back for a few minutes every hour or so to just soak it in, capture the images and the feelings—the voices the faces the situations---and allow yourself to reflect. Many years from now, I want you to took back on tomorrow and remember it as the first day of a phenomenal year. I know I will.
What can I say. Chalk and cheese? Night and day? I am humbled and honoured to be here.


Now everything is in place and the students are here - and here is another message from Craig:
Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity ... to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment ... would you capture it or just let it slip away ...
I captured it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.